Countdown:

Friday, December 3, 2010

What a Gorgeous Day

The sky is cobalt blue and the sun is shining.  OK, it's also 26 degrees but isn't that why I have Under Armour, Cabella's Polar Fleece, a Labatt's Blue knit cap and Burt's Bees Wax (no, I don't have endorsement deals with any of these folks but in case someone's offering me one, just send me an email and I'll get right back to you)?  Unfortunately for me, according to my training schedule, it's not a running day.  And I'm seriously bummed about it.

How did this happen?

I've already sent a text message to my Great and Motivational Training Partner thanking her for her role in afflicting me with what some might call "the Bug" and what others might chuckle and call a "Constructive Mental Illness."

"Constructive" because already, only a few weeks into it, I already feel myself recovering faster from a run.  I find myself capable of running a little farther, pushing myself a little harder and enjoying it each time a little more.  I feel like this is good for me.  "Mental Illness" because I look at this situation and think I've gone around the bend.  Perhaps you've been there earlier in your running, which means you already have your diagnosis while I'm still struggling trying to find mine.  Or maybe you're a new enough runner to understand exactly how I feel.  Either way, I think I hear you laughing.

Tomorrow calls for a 3.5 mile run and I think I want to knock the snot out of it.  Just 'cuz I can.  Unlike last Saturday's run, I think I'm going to avoid a trail run in the ice and snow because I'm not sure what socks I'm supposed to wear while running in Jump Boots (besides, almost getting sideswiped by a rutting deer last week was a little unnerving) and just hit the treadmill for a fun filled couple hours of interval training and core work.

I've started enjoying this.  I don't know how, when or why but I have.

Thank you, O Great and Motivational Running Partner.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you are sick with runner disease now. Just wait until you get Garmin Fever...and, look at that, Christmas is just a few days away! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have it bad, when everything on your Santa list is running related.

    Trying to describe why regular mittens won't work, after I tell my mother in law that I want running mittens for xmas....yep, that's when I knew I was a goner.

    ReplyDelete