Countdown:

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Training Day (After Working Nights)

I had the Epiphany this morning that run training and my 3 days, 2 off, 3 nights, 4 off work schedule will be more of a juggling act than I'd perhaps originally anticipated.

We had a more or less decent night trick.  Not too slow, not too busy.  Yesterday (last night in) started with finishing up the off-going group"s structure fire (burnt the roof off the place, they did!) while Mother Nature decided western NY needed a lot more snow and a lot less warmth.  I've always kind of enjoyed firefighting this time of year because you come out of the building with your turnout gear soaking wet, only to resemble a Krispy Kreme Glazed Firefighter 10 minutes after greeting the wind chill.  Nothing else I've ever experienced has helped me develop such an appreciation for holding a hot cup of coffee in my hands (because after all, what's a glazed donut without a cup of coffee?).  Did a bunch of other stuff over the course of the evening and by 1 AM, the elves who inhabit my little economically depressed work district came to the realization that it really was a night not fit for man nor beast and decided to go to bed and let me be warm.

I love my elves sometimes.

I got home from the firehouse to discover my lovely bride had decided to wait for me to get home to take care of the mess Mother Nature left in the driveway.  Yes, I thought to myself "GREAT!  Core work!" while pondering who was funnier: Mother Nature or my lovely bride.  Because I'm a husband who wants to be kept in the lifestyle to which I've become accustomed, I made sure my wife's car wouldn't get stuck so she could get to work.

But anyway, the juggling act.  Contrary to popular belief, not all sleep is created equal.  Firehouse sleep falls into this category.  Sure, it is technically sleep, but it's just not as restful as what I get at home.  So, since I like running in the morning, I found myself in the position today of thinking to myself "hmmmm.... today's only 2 miles but I'm tired."  Since I'm trying to save my training absences for really good reasons, off I went to my treadmill (if anyone has some motivational ideas for helping me develop an appreciation for running in a snow storm accompanied by below-zero wind chill, I'm officially asking you to share them!), roman chair, BOSU ball and Great & Motivational Training Partner who I think actually got a good night's sleep.  Upon arrival, I'm happy to report that the run felt pretty good even though I set the treadmill for "faster than usual" but I was a little sad that I felt like I puppied out on some of my BOSU stuff.

I guess I'll just need to find a balance between working nights and running.  Running feels great... running out of steam, not so much.  I disappointed myself a little but, as stated, learned a little something about the need to find balance.  I'll be keeping this idea of balance at the front of my mind this weekend when weighing my scheduled 4 mile training run Saturday morning with my Battalion Chief's invitation to join him Sunday on his first 3.1 mile trail run since rehabbing a stress fracture in his tibia he sustained running a half-marathon last summer.  He's the guy who has warned me about the evils of over-training but at the same time, I'd kinda like to be there as he does his 1st post-injury training 5K because, after all, running is about the stories, and I wouldn't mind being a part of this one.
Even if it is in the snow.

Ugh.  Running in the snow.  Send me those motivational ideas, please.  I'm really not feelin' it.

5 comments:

  1. Running in the snow is great...if you're running with someone. For some reason, the idea of wiping out on the ice is easier for me to take, if I know someone will be there to help me get up....after they've nearly wet their pants laughing, of course. :-)

    Combine the 2 events. Either run a little before you meet up with him...or finish the 4 miles when you've completed his 3.1. If he's a runner, he'll understand completely.

    Motivational help.....hmmmmm.......

    Just think....it's only December....it's going to get colder before it warms back up.

    Oh wait....is that not helping??

    Sorry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((Dying laughing here))

    It was motivational right up to the point you reminded me it'll be getting colder.

    Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem...any time!!! (hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Running in snow is fun, as long as it's not in your socks!

    ReplyDelete